Request for Proposal- Farmland Available at Snake Den Farm
The Northern Rhode Island Conservation District (NRICD) is seeking 2-3 conservation-minded agricultural producers with several years of experience who are looking to establish an agricultural enterprise at Snake Den Farm in Johnston, RI. As the land is owned by the State of Rhode Island, Snake Den Farm offers a uniquely secure lease opportunity for farmers. We offer eligible leaseholders the choice of long lease terms, options to renew, and potential for increased acreage over time. NRICD is also dedicated to partnering with farmers to build infrastructure and create a collaborative, farmer/producer-driven, financially successful agricultural community on the site. That said, this project is in the startup phase. We have accomplished much thus far with limited financial and staff resources, and it is expected that leaseholders at Snake Den will focus mainly on running their own great farm enterprises, but Snake Den Farm at present is geared toward resourceful individuals who are excited to be part of creating a new project, are able to cooperatively problem-solve, and feel they can work well within the overall vision.
What is currently available?
- Land- plots varying in size from 1.5 acres to 8 acres
- Storage space (limited)
- Potential for water access and electricity
- Opportunity to build infrastructure on leaseholds
While livestock may be considered, there is no livestock housing or infrastructure available at this time.
NRICD is seeking agricultural producers with:
- Farming experience, gained either through running a farm or by having a range of experience in skilled work for other farms.
- A working knowledge of, or commitment to learn, methods of conservation farming, and agree to use conservation best management practices (BMPs) on their leaseholds.
Storage $1 square foot/year
Metered rates for electricity and irrigation
Cropland: $160/acre per year
Hayland: $100/acre per year
Management Fee: $500/year
NRICD is an equal opportunity provider and employer. If you will need any help with applying or translation, please call NRICD at 401.934.0840 with questions, or email Kate Sayles at email@example.com
Please complete the application and submit with the necessary additional information:
- Basic Farm Plan (Something demonstrating basic farm budgets and management --see the Snake Den Farm website for templates/examples)
- 2 References
- Work history
Potential Land Available:
NOTE: Brown and Hartford Avenue fields will be included in land available, final approval pending.
Available Field Information
For additional information on soils, please click here
Note: Brown and Hartford Avenue fields will be included in land available, final approval pending